Brief mental health interventions for patients at selected Leeds GP practices
What we do
The Healthy Minds service provided by Northpoint Wellbeing offers a brief mental health intervention (including developing coping skills and healthy living habits) and signposting to onward support where necessary.
It is for patients experiencing low-level mental health issues in selected Leeds GP Practices (see below). Patients are offered one appointment but can be referred more than once.
We aim to ensure that patients’ mental and emotional health needs are better supported, and that consequently GP workload is reduced. The Healthy Minds service:
- allows patients to have a timely triage/assessment of their mental and emotional health needs, subject to agreed referral criteria, normally within 7 working days
- ensures patients are enabled to manage their own mental and emotional health where possible
- ensures patients are supported to access appropriate mental health services
- minimises duplication with other mental health services
- reduces self-harm and suicide attempts, A&E contacts, and inappropriate crisis team assessments.
Patients at the following GP practices can be referred to the Healthy Minds service:
- Allerton Medical Centre
- Chapeltown Family Surgery
- St Martin’s Practice
- Westfield Medical Centre
- Woodhouse Medical Practice,
if they present with:
- depression/low mood
- anxiety – including social or health anxiety
- sleep difficulties
- panic attacks
- stress – including work, academic or family issues
- acute distress in response to a specific life event – e.g. bereavement
- isolation or a limited support network.
Patients as above can also be referred to the service where:
- additional assessment is needed prior to potential Leeds Mental Wellbeing Service referral for IAPT therapy
- they are deemed unsuitable or have been declined by the Community Mental Health team (CMHT).
How to refer
All patients in the practices listed above can be referred by any member of staff in the practice, or by self-referral on request at reception. For information on how we use your information see Privacy Notice Northpoint Healthy Minds
“Thank you. It was just what I needed – a light touch but pertinent 30 minutes of talking therapy. I’m very grateful”.
Partners & commissioners
The Healthy Minds service is run by Northpoint Wellbeing in partnership with Chapeltown Primary Care Network (PCN) and Calibre Care Partners Ltd, and commissioned by the Leeds GP Confederation.